First steps

In addition to the administrative formalities that can be dealt with by the hessian point of single contact, there are further steps that need to be taken into account in forming a company on the route to self-employment.

As a freelancer, it may even be possible for you not to need any of the administrative procedures through the service platform of the hessian point of single contact, but you will have to apply for a tax number, for example.
The most important subjects for you are brought together on this page.

Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy

Many helpful checklists and overviews can be found on the site of the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology. The business start-up portal additionally offers you a great deal of other support.

Verwaltungsportal Hessen

The Hessen Info Service provides a detailed description of how to register a business including an overview of all documents required, the associated fees and lots of useful information.

(website only available in german)

Bundesagentur für Arbeit

You can also apply for your company ID  number by submitting a PDF form to the German Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit).
The issue/modification of a company ID number (form)

(website only available in german)

Federal Ministry of Finance

The Federal Ministry of Finance will provide you with an appropriate form with guidance on how to complete it, which you can complete and submit to the tax office responsible.

(website only available in german)

Federal Ministry of Finance

The financial guide is a useful aid for finding out the tax office responsible for you. After entering your surname, postcode and area of work, you will be shown the name of the tax office responsible, its address and even the telephone number of the department responsible.

(website only available in german)

Deutsche Gesetzliche Unfallversicherung

The association "Deutsche Gesetzliche Unfallversicherung" (DGUV) is the top association of professional/trade associations and the accident insurer of the government. On this page you can find a list of all the contact details of the professional/trade associations and accident insurers in Germany.